You are currently viewing Electrical Safety in the Home

Electrical Safety in the Home

  • Post published:October 12, 2021
  • Reading time:4 mins read
Home > Electrical Safety in the Home

Did you know that over 20,000 residential fires are caused by electricity each year? 

Electrical fires can not only destroy your property but, they can be life-threatening. Therefore, knowing how to use electrical appliances safely and effectively at home is important for you and your family. 

By following a few simple tips, you can minimise the risk of electrical fires occurring and sleep comfortably at night knowing you’re safe. So, keep reading to discover our guide on electrical safety in the home. 

Don’t Mix Water and Electricity

It’s something we’re taught at a young age but, you would be surprised how many people forget this basic instruction. 

Combining water and electricity is a dangerous combination that can end with devastating results. So, why do many individuals make this mistake each year? 

Well, it’s usually due to complacency and naivety. People tend to pick up bad habits and aren’t aware that what they’re doing is dangerous. 

For example, you shouldn’t use your hairdryer in the bathroom. Condensation can easily cause damage, making it a fire hazard. You should also be careful when using kitchen appliances and keep them away from the sink. After washing up, wipe down and dry worktops to ensure no water can get to them. This is because if it does, it’s a disaster waiting to happen. 

Avoid Running Cords Underneath Carpets or Furniture

Hiding cords underneath a rug or behind the sofa may make your home look tidy but, it’s a severe fire hazard. 

When in use, wires and cords become hot and can easily set light to flammable materials. So, they need to be kept away from carpets, rugs, curtains and furniture. Ideally, you should plug the appliance into a socket nearby. But, if you find that this isn’t possible, contact us and we’ll happily install additional outlets for you. 

Look Out for Signs of Damage

Damaged wires, cords, extension cables and appliances are major hazards. 

Not only can they cause fires but, you’re at high risk of electrocution whilst handling them. So, if you spot any signs of damage to these, stop using them and replace them immediately. It’s not worth trying to save a few pounds by putting your possessions and more importantly, your life in danger. 

Stop Overloading Outlets

Adaptors and extension cords can be convenient but only when used correctly. 

Having too many appliances plugged in at once for long periods of time can increase the chance of a fire. So, unplug appliances that are not in use and only use one heat-producing device at a time e.g. hairdryer, kettle etc. 

Call the Experts to Ensure Electrical Safety in the Home

If you need any electrical work carrying out, it’s important to employ a qualified professional. This ensures that everything is completed to the correct standards and is safe to use. Whereas if you attempt to do it yourself, you run the risk of damaging your electrics and causing hazards. You may also invalidate your home insurance and make it difficult to sell your property in future. 

Be Safe Not Sorry

We hope our guide on electrical safety in the home has been helpful to you. Be sure to use this advice and make any corrections or adaptions necessary in your house.

Finally, if you’re worried about your electrics then it’s better to be safe than sorry. Speak to one of our electricians in Milton Keynes today to book a free quote.

If you’re not looking for an immediate quote and simply need some quick advice you can contact us today and our friendly team will be happy to answer any questions you may have.